Our History

 

Bishops

 

keith

Glyn Webster

The present Bishop of Beverley is Glyn Webster, who was consecrated in York Minster on 25 January 2013. His entire ministry has been in or around the City of York, culminating in thirteen years as a Canon Residentiary of York Minster. Until his consecration, he served as a member of the General Synod of the Church of England, where he was elected as the Prolocutor of the Lower House of the Convocation of York.

 

Bishop Glyn is a suffragan bishop in the Diocese of York and an assistant bishop in the Dioceses of Chester, Durham, Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Sodor & Man, Southwell & Nottingham and West Yorkshire & the Dales.

 

keith

Martyn Jarrett

The third Bishop of Beverley was Martyn Jarrett who was translated to the See of Beverley in 2000, having been Suffragan Bishop of Burnley, in the Diocese of Blackburn, since 1994. Prior to his episcopal ordination, he was the Vicar of S.Mary & All Saints, Chesterfield for three years, before which he worked in the Ministry Division at Church House Westminster, latterly as the Senior Selection Secretary.

keith

John Gaisford

The second Bishop of Beverley – the first of modern times, and the first Provincial Episcopal Visitor for the Province of York – was John Gaisford, who was consecrated in York Minster in 1994. Most of his ministry had been in the Diocese of Chester, where he spent twenty-one years as Vicar of S.Andrew, Crewe, eleven years as Rural Dean of Nantwich and, finally, eight years as Archdeacon of Macclesfield.

Robert Crosthwaite

The first Bishop of Beverley, Robert Crosthwaite, was in office as a Suffragan Bishop in the Diocese of York from 1889 until 1923. Following his retirement, the See was in abeyance until it was revived, following the passing of the Episcopal Ministry Act of Synod, 1993.